Sunday, October 14, 2012

For Love and Chocolate

It's always hard to get moving after months of inactivity. A long run could hurt in places you forgot you could feel, lifting makes you hurt everywhere, and all of this exercise creates an overwhelming sense of fatigue. Two weeks ago I only logged maybe 22mi. The entire month of September, I may have logged a total of 85mi. Last week I ran 44.35mi. This week I've put it over 33 mi (plus whatever I run today). You may be saying to yourself that I'm crazy, no one should increase their milage that much in a week. I know when I've been lazy and I know when I'm working it. 40 miles or so is working it but not overdoing it. I'm like a Clydesdale. I'm built for work and endurance, definitely not a show horse. By running 5-6days a week, I'm forcing myself to stay accountable. I bought a running dairy. I've starting running with people and registered for what I'll call "training-races". Baby steps may be the difference between staying motivated and letting the wheels fall off again.

Yesterday I participated in the Under Armor Baltimore Running Festival with a total of 27,000 runners.  Together with three other girls, we complete the marathon relay. I was responsible for about 7.3mi of the course. With the excitement of my fellow runners, I decided to cover two legs of the race. Those 13.27mi were exhilarating. Just being a part of the energy and camaraderie of the occasion was truly a moving experience. The energy from the strangers cheering on the streets and the runners focused on a common goal was contagious. I've never had the marathon itch so bad in my life. I can't wait to try my hand at it in March. For now though, I'm going to focus on baby steps.

Next Sunday I'm running a "training-race". I'll be running my third Hershey Half Marathon. I won't be tapering for this, it'll be built into my regular schedule serving as a really, really fun run... with chocolate. Who could say no to that?!? I've been with this race since its inaugural event, so obviously I can't. Have no fear, they don't hand out the big candy bar until the end. I'll have to work for it. Next weekend, I run for love and chocolate. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment